Skip to main content

Pond fix - from green to clear

Just wanted to show our before and after photos of the koi pond at my MIL's place.

We moved in as we are building in May and threw our koi in with my MIL's fish in a concrete pond rather than having to run two systems.  It was pretty green but the fish seemed to survive so we didn't think much of it.

Unbeknownst to us my MIL feeds fish like she feeds people.  Abundantly!   So much that the top of the water is almost got a layer of fish food - both flake and our koi pellets.  We only found out when our biggest koi started gasping and half floating (looked very very ill).  So we put it in a bucket of fresh water (I know!) but it seemed to revive itself.  So after about a day we threw it back in.  BAD mistake.

We pulled out our pond testing kit and found our ammonia levels were super high. So we dug out our pond pump and started filtering the water.

Here's the 'before' photo when we started pumping:

And here it is 'now' after we bought a sponge air filter thing (cheap and great!) and hacked together a water filter using a big tub.  You can now see right to the bottom!

I've since taken over the feeding of the fish...

Just to be clear (ha!  no pun intended):

We're not using any fancy filter.  Just a hacked together filter with a piece of filter pad (like this) which we lined the box with and then pump the water into it to get it to flow back into the pond after putting lots of holes into the box on one side.

The aeration is via something like this:


Popular posts from this blog

Fitness Passport membership locations on a map

My Fitness Passport membership is now live!  Woohoo!  So I get access to a heap of gyms and pools and classes.  For someone who isn't interested in a gym membership I'm not quite sure why I have joined!!  Peer pressure. I'm very fortunate that I have the opportunity to join this type of membership as then I can go just about anywhere in NSW.  The membership site gives you a list of them but I had no idea how close they would be to either work or home so I copied and pasted the details into a Google Sheet and then put them in a Google Map.  I thought it may be useful for others too. You can access the map by this link too:  ​

Sauna at home and Vivid Dreaming

Due to the current situation where we are all at home and most public places are now closed I've invested and bought myself a sauna.  I got a Valo 2 person sauna and it's been great so far.  I purchased it for ~A$1600 (before a price rise due to the exchange rate).  If you are reading this in early April 2020 they may still have stock here of the same model: I had looked at a number of sites for a sauna that would fit into my 1 bedroom apartment and more specifically on my balcony.  I briefly thought of a 1 person sauna but I'm so glad I got a bigger sauna as it's already a bit like a confinement space and to have a smaller space again I think would be a bit too claustrophobic.  Originally I had thought to buy the sauna from Appliances Online due to my previous great experiences but the delivery timeframe was too far away so I cancelled my order and ended up buying it from Luxo Livi

The Croissant Diet Experience with a CGM - Sept 2020

I've been on the bandwagon of The Croissant Diet (TCD) for a little while.  Maybe 6 weeks or so.  And I thought I should document things a bit. There was a great summary by Brad Marshall on Twitter on what The Croissant Diet actually is: Eat LOTS of long chain Saturated Fat and avoid PUFA like the plague. Also avoid MUFA. If you want to eat some starch, go for it! But smother them in SatFat. That’s the whole thing, really. — FireInABottle (@fire_bottle) September 21, 2020 What I'm eating: Meat - beef or lamb mostly as this is low in PUFAs and high in stearic acid. Fats for cooking - tallow or butter.  Enhanced with stearic acid.   Eggs - cos they are a great whole food.  Usually cooked in tallow or butter (enhanced with stearic acid if I remember). Butter Cream for tea Coffee - usually black Low carb "carbs" -- Atkins crispbread and Woolworths Macro bread. These have vegetable oils so not great but I try and overwhelm it with lots of butter.  But generally not some